According to Mintel’s Lynn Dornblaser, who along with Phil Lempert is one of our favorite wacky trend spotters, the top ten new products to watch this year are:
- Tide Pods: a dis-solvable shell that releases laundry detergent so you don’t have to touch any nasty cleaning products;
- MyKleenexTissue 2.0: it lets consumers customize their nose-blowing by printing photos on the package!!
- Kraft Sizzling Salads Dinner Kits: bottles of salad dressings and cooking sauce in a kit for those who need a sommelier to coordinate sauces and salads;
- All-in-One from SC Johnson: with cleaning down 22-28% depending on the room of the house, this device is supposed to adapt to the task using a variety of solvents sprayed with it;
- Dulce de Leche Cheerios: aimed at more than just the Hispanic market;
- Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion 30 Day Smoothing Kit: with salon keratin treatments costing $200, its $12.50 price tag seems like a bargain;
- Kashi Frozen Steam Meals: this Kellogg’s-owned division seemed to have missed the microwave steaming trend, but now whole grains will ride to their rescue;
- V8 V-Fusion + Energy: with nearly 40% of consumers saying energy drinks aren’t good for you, Campbell’s is hoping to use 80mg of green tea to give its V-8 franchise a jolt;
- Orabrush Tongue Foam: designed to complement the already-trendy Orabrush tongue brush (you read that right: TONGUE brush), the enzymes inside are supposed to kill bacteria and stomp out bad breath;
- Orville Redenbacher’s Flavors: White Cheddar, Extra Cheese and Salt & Vinegar flavors to sprinkle on microwavable popcorn. Consumers already sprinkle a variety of things on popcorn (including Tabasco sauce), so will they embrace a product that does it for them?
So how many proved winners?